Saturday 26 August 2017

Liebster Award


I am so very honoured to accept the Liebster Award nomination from Sarah over at Raising Human Beans. Thank you Sarah. Be sure to head over to her blog and have a read about the Bean Family - unschooling, recipes, printables, her blog has a great variety of lifestyle topics.

So what is the Liebster Award.....

I'd heard of the Liebster Award over the last 12 months of blogging and have always wondered what it was all about. When I did a search after receiving the nomination, I stumbled onto The Global Aussie site, which is the current home of the Liebster Award.

The Liebster Award is believed to have started back in 2011 and it is an online-only award that is given to bloggers by other bloggers. The award is a great way to be discovered within the blogging world and also to connect with others within the blogging community. It really is a wonderful idea.

The word "liebster" is German in origin and means dearest, beloved or favourite. Knowing the mean of the word, I get a warm and fuzzy feeling knowing that my little blog has been nominated. There's no actual or virtual presentation and no trophy to display - I just have the privilege of being able to display the Leibster Award badge on my blog. That in itself is a great prize!

Now there are a few rules involved if you have been nominated for the award, so let's get them out of the way.
  1. If you have been nominated for The Liebster award AND you choose to accept it, write a blog post about the award. ✔
  2. Thank the person who nominated you, and post a link to their blog. ✔
  3. Display the Liebster Award badge on your blog. ✔
  4. Provide 10 random facts about yourself. 
  5. Nominate 5 to 11 blogs that you feel deserve the award - they should be newish blogs with less than 200 followers. 
  6. Provide your nominees with ten questions to answer. 
  7. List these rules in your post (I copied and pasted from The Global Aussie, which you're allowed to do!) 
  8. Inform the people/blogs that you want to nominate, that they have been nominated for the Liebster Award and provide the link to your blog so that they can learn all about the Liebster Award. 
  9. Once you have completed the above steps, head on over to The Global Aussie and let Jack know that you've been nominated. Make sure to provide him with a link to your own post so that he can have a read of your nomination post! 
Sarah has given me 5 questions to answer so I will answer those before giving you some random facts about myself!

Question 1: Why did you start blogging?
I started my blog last year as a means of clearing my mind of everything that we were experiencing on our autism journey. At the time of starting to blog, we were very new to the world of autism and we hadn't yet established support networks, other than L's therapy team. So blogging was a way of getting everything off of my chest and out into the open. I find a lot of calm in writing for my blog and this has helped me immensely to be able to think logically about decisions that we have had to, and have to make in the future, on behalf of both L and O.

For the future I hope that my blog becomes a place where new families can gain the much needed support that we all need as well as gaining new information about various facets of autism. I would also like my blog to be one that is able to spread autism awareness and acceptance.

Question 2: What kind of blog do you have?
I blog about my families journey with autism - the highs and the lows. I hope that my blog provides an insight into life with autism as well as spreading a little awareness and acceptance of autism.

Question 3: Where is your favourite place in the world that you have been?
This is a tricky one to answer as my favourite place in the world is anywhere where my family is! It probably sounds corny but as long as I am with my superhero family, I am set!

Question 4: If you could go anywhere, where would you choose?
I would love to take my husband and little superheroes to a little island called Ternate, which is located in the northern part of the Maluku province of Indonesia. I was an exchange student in Indonesia on Ternate when I was 15 and I would love to take my family to Ternate to meet my Indonesian family.

Question 5: If money wasn't an issue, would you still blog?
The short answer is yes! I don't blog to earn a living. It would be nice to be earn a living from my blog, but that is not why I started my blog in the first place. I enjoy writing, so that is enough of a reason to keep blogging. If in the future I am paid to blog, then that is a huge bonus!



1. I detest flying cockroaches with a passion. Cockroaches cause me to either run far, far away or freeze on the spot. I am an absolute wimp when it comes to these insects! I don't know what it is about flying cockroaches, but they give me the heebie jeebies!

2. I didn't get my ears pierced until I was in my 30's. I am not a huge fan of needles so the thought of having my ears pierced made me very queasy. When I did get them pierced, I made my husband come along and get one of his ears pierced for moral support!

3. I played the Alto Saxophone from the age of 11 through to the age of 18. Music was my escape. I have loads of wonderful memories of being in various bands, performing at many concerts and other performances.

4. I had my left foot operated on when I was 10 as I had bone and cartilage growing where it should not have been growing. Very not normal!

5. I can count to 10 in Indonesian, Croatian, Vietnamese, Portuguese, German and Italian. This is thanks to the huge cultural diversity of children at my work. Give me a few months and I'll be able to add Hebrew, Sudanese, Zimbabwean, Hindi, Burmese and a few other Indian dialects to this!

6. I have an autism heroes tattoo on my left wrist in honour of my little superheroes.

7. I carried the Olympic flame in the torch relay leading up to the Sydney 2000 Olympics. This was a huge honour and something that I am very proud of.

8. I was born with a tiny hole at the top of my right ear - called a preauricular sinus. Until very recently I had no idea what it was called! I now have a scar where it was due to constant infections in it.

9. I experienced a volcanic eruption when I lived in Indonesia as an exchange student. The volcanic eruption was an experience in itself - as a naive 15 year old I thought I was a goner for sure! 

10. I love Stitch from the Movie "Lilo and Stitch!" One of my friends recently returned from a holiday in the USA and brought me a little Stitch figurine - OMG, THE BEST PRESENT EVER!!! I was jumping for joy when she handed the present to me!!


Now for my nominees! I'm going to do something a little different and tell you why I have nominated these blogs!

So in particular order, my nominees are:

Toni from over at Raising Miss Bow and Co. Toni started her blog this year (2017) and is also a special needs mum. The first post of hers that I read is titled "Seven Facts of a Special Needs Mum" and I was moved by it as I could relate to a number of points in her post.

Shell from over at The Sun Mama. Shell also has a special need child (mmm, seeing a pattern here!) I loved her post about their family trip to the Queen Creek Olive Mill during which their tour guide took the time to engage with her son.

Nicole from over at Raising an Extraordinary Person. Nicole is another newbie to the blogging world and is also a special needs mum - autism in fact! She has a great post about autism facts.

Joseph and Ashlee over at Insert Chaos Here. Joseph and Ashlee are new to the world of blogging and they write about the chaos that is life.

Tina over at No You Need To Calm Down! I love her post about teaching empathy to children.

And my questions for my nominees are....
1. When you have writers block, what do you do to work it out?
2. If you could be any superhero, who would it be and why? (One from L!)
3. Would you rather explore a deep ocean or outer space?
4. What is your favourite book?
5. What is the one fall back food that your child/children will eat?
6. Why do you blog?
7. What is your favourite animal and why? (One from O!)
8. What is the most extreme thing that you have ever done?
9. What are the most afraid of?
10. Finish this sentence -  I am the best version of me when.......

I look forward to reading your responses and seeing who you pass the love onto! Happy blogging!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts on my blog. I do read all the comments that are posted. Thanks so much for stopping by. Jen xx